SEO is the process of improving the organic ranking of a website with leading search engines. Professional SEO firms like Submit Express help to improve search engine rankings for their clients by modifying their websites to better reflect what search engines are looking for. Read a more detailed explanation of SEO here.
SEO refers to the process of improving traffic to a given website by increasing the site’s visibility in search engine results. Web sites improve search engine optimization by improving content, making sure that the pages are able to be indexed correctly, and ensuring that the content is unique. Going through the search engine optimization process typically leads to more traffic for the site because the site will appear higher in search results for information that pertains to the site’s offerings.
The Importance of SEO
In today’s competitive market SEO is more important than ever. Search engines serve millions of users per day looking for answers to their questions or for solutions to their problems. If you have a web site, blog or online store, SEO can help your business grow and meet the business objectives.
Search engine optimization is very essential because of the following:
- The majority of search engine users is more likely to choose one of the top 5 suggestions on the results page so to take advantage of this and gain visitors to your web site or customers to your online store you need to rank as high as possible.
- SEO is not only about search engines, but good SEO practices improve the user experience and usability of a web site.
- User’s trust search engines and having a presence in the top positions for the keywords the user is searching increases the web site’s trust.
- SEO is also good for the social promotion of your web site. People who find your web site by searching Google or Yahoo are more likely to promote it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or other social media channels.
- SEO is also important for the smooth running of a big website. Web sites with more than one author can benefit from SEO in a direct and indirect way. Their direct benefit is increase in search engine traffic and their indirect benefit is having a common framework to use before publishing content on the site.
- SEO can put you ahead of the competition. If two web sites are selling the same thing, the search engine optimized website is more likely to have more customers and make more sales.
Although there are legitimate companies that help Web sites improve their rankings, according to Google’s page about SEO, most such offers that arrive in e-mail messages are of little-to-no value. The search engine’s own Webmaster often gets SEO marketing offers suggesting that Google doesn’t show up well in search results (which is quite unlikely). Google’s recommendation for Webmasters? “Reserve the same skepticism for unsolicited e-mail about search engines as you do for “burn fat at night” diet pills or requests to help transfer funds from deposed dictators.”
Instead of trying to game the system, sites should focus on providing visitors with useful content and a good user experience (UX). Partly because of the proliferation of bogus offers, the term search engine optimization has gotten a negative reputation in some circles. To put the focus on the website visitor, it has been suggested that acronym SEO should stand for search experience optimization.
Before starting an SEO project, site owners should carefully read through the webmaster guidelines that each search engine provides and follow recommended best practices. Not only will doing so help pages rank better, but failure to follow recommended could result in the site being improperly indexed. Worse still, the site could be completely blacklisted from the search engine. Certain black hat SEO techniques, such as keyword stuffing, are considered to be the SEO equivalent of spamming, and search engines will penalize them.
As an Internet marketing strategy, SEO considers how search engines work, what people search for, the actual search terms or keywords typed into search engines and which search engines are preferred by their targeted audience. Optimizing a website may involve editing its content, HTML and associated coding to both increase its relevance to specific keywords and to remove barriers to the indexing activities of search engines. Promoting a site to increase the number of backlinks, or inbound links, is another SEO tactic. As of now, mobile search has finally surpassed desktop search, Google is developing and pushing mobile search as the future in all of its products and many brands are beginning to take a different approach on their internet strategies.